Thursday, December 27, 2012

Mubanna Chondak

It's time for another restaurant post! When I go out with friends to explore the city, lunch is always part of the plan. We like to try new stuff or places that look interesting but with five or six of us and such different tastes, it's always hard to find something that appeals to everyone. I usually go with the flow and I'm happy to go anywhere, since I can *almost* always find something in the menu that I'd be willing to try.

On a cold Thursday morning, after having a blast at the Trick Eye Museum, we decided to go for lunch and were surprised to see that every single restaurant that caught our attention was closed. At noon. On a Thursday. It must have been "No food day" or something, who knows? We walked, and walked until we ran into a little place with a picture of a chicken. We all agreed you can't go wrong with chicken. Little did I know.

Mubanna Chondak is a chain restaurant that specializes in chicken. We sat down and started looking at the menu. If you know me, you know that I don't eat spicy food. I just can't. It is literally painful to me. My levels of spiciness tolerance are waaay below average. So no, no spicy for me. Most of the items on the menu had peppers next to the name to show the spiciness level, so I kept digging until I found some dishes that had no peppers. Our waiter knew little English, so I decided not to bug him and assumed that no peppers equals the least spicy of them all and ordered a Sesame based chicken dish to share with my friend Jahayra. I can't remember the name of it.

We all decided to share, because the portions are quite big. They start you off with an empty bowl so you can get the endless "Salad bar" which consists of some radish salad, pickles, shredded cabbage, cucumbers and kimchi. I am a pain in the ass when it comes to food so I didn't take part in the salad bar, but I did get some shots of what my friends got.
 We didn't have to wait long for our food to be ready, after all we were the only ones in the restaurant at the time, except for a younger couple that walked in about five minutes after us. This is what my friends Mary and Tracie ordered:
 It was chicken, potatoes and cheese and it came out before our food, so they let us try it and it was spicy for my taste. They told me it only had one pepper next to its name on the menu, so ours should be fine. Ours came out and as soon as I tried it my mouth was on fire. My gums, my tongue, my throat. It was too much to bear. The chicken was deliciously cooked, if it hadn't been so spicy I would have probably ate the whole thing... so I braved up and ate like five or six pieces, each followed by a lot of water (which luckily was in a pitcher on the table) and rice, which I don't normally eat (Yes, I know, pain in the ass). I thought I was exaggerating but my friends did say that it was VERY spicy. And they do eat spicy food, so yeah.
Overall, it was a good experience. The place was clean and we got very good service, our waiter was very attentive. The food was very fresh and if you like spicy food, by all means, try this place, you are going to love it. 

More Information:
Pricing: Around 12.000KRW - 20.000KRW depending on what you order.
Foreigner friendly.


As always, thanks for reading!

Love,
Zayda

No comments:

Post a Comment