Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Pompei + Downtown Napoli

On day two of my friend Allie's visit, we took her to Pompei (Or Pompeii, if you're spelling in English? This still confuses me.), one of the places in her bucket list. I was so excited to show her around this interesting place. The husband and I had already been before, and we still got to see some new stuff we missed the last time.
 Tickets to Pompei are about 12 Euros, but include entrances to Pompei, Ercolano, Boscoreale, Oplontis and Stabia. We have not been to any of those yet, but are looking forward to go soon.
 It was HOT. It was ridiculously, ungodly hot. Dear Naples: Satan called, he wants his heating system back. I felt like I was going to pass out at any given time. The heat wave going through Southern Italy this July was NO JOKE.
It was really, really hot. Just look at my sweaty self and Allie's miserable face. HOT.
 ...still, we saw very cool stuff.
 Did I mention it was hot? Saw quite a few girls sporting this outfit:
 Still, Pompei is as beautiful as ever. So much history in this place.
 There was a special exhibition going on, with more plaster casts of bodies found after the disaster, and a new way to preserve them? Honestly I didn't pay a lot of attention because I didn't have time between all my whining about being HOT and crying over the bodies of a parent and child interacting.
 Note: whatever you do, wear comfortable shoes to Pompei. Preferably sneakers or something similar. Stupid me had the brilliant idea of wearing flip flops and well, that was a huge mistake. This is TMI, but my feet have never been so dirty in my life. Gross. After going around Pompei we got out and walked the town for a little bit and had some gelato. Always gelato <3.
 And because a weekend in Naples is not enough and we had to cram, we drove from Pompei straight downtown and saw the Egg Castle, Piazza Plebiscito and ate a wonderful Italian dinner.
 On the way back to the car, we stopped at one of my favorite stores in all of Naples, the Chocostore. EVERYTHING in this shop is chocolate themed, chocolate related or chocolate flavored. Including Cacao Pasta and Cacao Beer. Their white chocolate is evrrrrrything. The whole store is heavenly and dangerous at the same time, and the owner is such a kind and nice woman. Love, love, love this place.
We kept making our way back and enjoyed the start of a beautiful sunset and the temperature finally cooling down.
 It was an amazing day but we were exhausted when we got home. It was a great day!

Thank you for reading!

Love,
Zayda


No comments:

Post a Comment