Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rose & Crown Pub

It was just another night wandering around Itaewon, looking for a new place to try. We came across this great looking place and since we love everything UK, we decided to try it out. We were in for a treat and I say that in the most sarcastic way possible.
 Now, I want to clarify that I feel horrible saying bad things about a place, but I'm trying as best as I can to document life in Seoul and well... not all places can have amazing food, right?
 I have to say that I was completely sold on the look and feel of the place. I completely loved the decor.
 We sat down on a table by the window and ordered some drinks. The hubs went for beer and I went for my drink of choice, a screwdriver. He liked his beer, my drink was just OK. It felt watered down even though I was buzzed with two of them.
 More cool decor:
 Now for food, he ordered a pot pie and I ordered the shrimp scampi. They took forever and a day to bring us our food, but I can't complain about that because the waiter had kindly warned us that the kitchen was pretty busy that night and that it might take longer than usual. Out came the food and honestly, neither of us really loved it. My husband rated his as "edible" and "alright" (I tasted it and agree) and mine... well, mine was totally unexpected.
Pot Pie
Granted, I have never been in England or anywhere close, so I really don't know if they have a different take on shrimp scampi. I like to think that is what happened, because in my book, shrimp scampi is not red and it certainly doesn't have a piece of Kraft cheese on top of it. And yes, I am completely sure I ordered the right thing because, I might not speak Korean but A) the waiter spoke basic English, B) I pointed at it on the menu and C) he read it back to me... so it had to be it, right?
I really don't think this looks like shrimp scampi
 I tried it anyway and it was really not good. I like tomatoes as much as anyone else but this really tasted like they squeezed half a bottle of ketchup in a bowl, threw five shrimp in there, put a slice of American cheese on top and shoved it in the microwave. Can you tell I was disappointed? also, I was still hungry so we paid our bill (which came to a little over 70,000KRW) and went home.
We don't mind paying for good food and drinks on a date night, but I certainly didn't enjoy this place as much as some other places around Itaewon. The way I see it, it's all a matter of taste, or maybe it was just a "Bad Cook" night. I do think the place looks fantastic and I wanted it to work for us so bad, but the food really was a deal breaker and we will definitely not visit it again.

More Information:
Address: 118-23 Itaewon-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Phone: 02-794-2555
Directions:  Itaewon Station, Line 6, Exit 1. Take the first right, walk until the end of the alley, turn left. It will be on your left.

Thank you for reading!

Love,
 Zayda

No comments:

Post a Comment