Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Los Amigos Mexican Restaurant

It was Christmas Eve, and after deciding on going out and a failed attempt to watch The Hobbit at the COEX Mall because it was sold out, we tried to find a place in Itaewon to have dinner. It was freezing and I certainly wasn't dressed to be walking around in such weather, since the plan in the first place was to be sitting down in a cozy, comfy movie theater. With a lot of luck, we found a place to park our car at the end of Itaewon and started walking. I am a very picky eater, and I was in one of my worst moods ever. It was Christmas Eve and there was nothing christmasy going on in my night, I couldn't watch the movie, my butt was freezing and I was hungry. It was not a good combination. After walking down six blocks, where most restaurants where packed, too expensive or simply didn't catch our attention, we found Los Amigos. I said "I could go for some Mexican".

We walked in and we were immediately guided to our table. I apologize for the lack of photos, but the place really did look great. It is big, and every single thing in the decoration is very Tex-Mex. You can tell whoever did it, put a lot of thought into it. I saw they had some kind of horns hanging from the ceiling on top of each table, I figured they might be to call the waiter but I was embarrassed to try it, because, well... what if they are not for that? I also noticed a stage, but it was empty. I think during the weekends they have live music. We normally don't get appetizers, but I was so hungry that we decided to get the Chili and Queso dip.


I don't do spicy but I was willing to give it a try and it wasn't so bad. I felt the kick but nothing I couldn't manage. The consistency of it was good too, not too thick, just the way I like my dip. After that, we ordered some drinks. I got a Piña Colada, and my husband ordered a Cass beer.



That Piña Colada really helped my mood. It was too strong for my taste, though. I don't like it when I can feel the rum that much. I know I get drunk faster when I can't feel it, but I just don't love the taste of alcohol all that much.


I ordered a ground beef burrito, and I was very pleased to see that they'll work with you in your preference about spicy food. I told them no spicy at all and they gave me my burrito with the sauce on the side and it was just perfect. It was a very good burrito, great size and great flavor. My husband ordered a combination of one ground beef and one chicken burrito.The one with the green sauce is the  ground beef one, which is the same that I had. 


After that, we had their brownie, which came with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but as usual, I didn't love it. I'm always disappointed with non-Colombian brownies. For some reason, I haven't been able to find one that I love, not in the States and certainly not in Korea. Nothing has been able to beat a Sukkar Gourmet brownie, or a Patricia Berón one.

Overall, it was a good experience at Los Amigos restaurant. The staff was very friendly, the restaurant was very clean and the ambiance was great.

More Information:
- HiExpat.Com: http://hiexpat.com/seoul-restaurants/los-amigos
- Seoul Eats: http://www.seouleats.com/2008/12/los-amigos/
- Closest Subway Station: Itaewon, Line 6
- Foreigner Friendly

Thanks for reading!
Love,
Zayda

No comments:

Post a Comment